Yew wood bottle opener
Yew is, I think, my favourite wood. The colour and grain is really beautiful but I've decided to give these their own product listing for one important reason: poison. The yew tree is unusual in that not only is the fruit toxic, but so too are the needles, bark and wood if ingested.
Most woodworkers won't make bowls, spoons or cooking utensils from yew for this reason, however this is, in all likelihood, being overly-cautious. The heartwood contains the least amount of toxin when alive, and these are made from a tree that was cut down more than ten years ago.
But, if you have any small creatures living in your house who might put one of these in their mouth and chew on it, I'd rather you didn't buy it.